Small businesses in the UK
Recently, I’ve came across a very interesting report from the department of business innovation and skills. We decided to summarize it in a nice infographic.
Here are some interesting points:
- There were an estimated 4.9 million private sector
businesses in the UK at the start of 2013.
- As in previous years, the latest rise has been driven
by the growth in the numbers of smaller, non-employing businesses.
- The 4.9 million private sector businesses employed an
estimated 24.3 million people, and had an estimated combined annual turnover of
- 99.9% of private sector businesses are SMEs, employing
59.3% of private sector employment.
- 62.6% of private sector businesses were sole
proprietorships, 28.5% were companies and 8.9% were ordinary partnerships.
- 75.3% of
private sector businesses do not employ anyone beside the business owners.